View Single Post
Old January 14th, 2021, 01:13 AM

Truck: 1966 GMC 1500 Custom
LordNatedawg will become famous soon enoughLordNatedawg will become famous soon enough
Default Re: "Papa Smurf" - 1966 GMC 1500 Custom

Quote:
LND, here is a link with some drum brake assembly photos.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Thanks for this. Based on these photos, I have no reason to believe anything is assembled wrong. I even followed my service manual step-by-step. Shouldn't doubt myself too much.

Unfortunately, there is a problem somewhere in the braking system. Today I adjusted my drums, installed the last two pieces of brake line, and then vacuum bled everything. Ran about 2 quarts of fluid through the system. Haven't had a single air bubble all day, but the pedal has a lot of travel. It goes down about half way to the floor before it gets stiff. With the truck running, there almost isn't a brake pedal at all.

The last time I had an issue like this was on a Saturn Ion. I had just replaced the master cylinder, it experienced these symptoms, and it turned out the the new master cylinder had a bad internal seal.

Too many factors to consider on my truck. I replaced every single item you can possibly replace in the brake system. I have no way of knowing if all the parts are compatible or not. I'm relying on aftermarket manufacturers correctly labeling products.

My truck has some braking power, so I plan on taking it on a very slow road test to see if anything changes. If nothing else, the parking brake seems to work. It's super tight and I can only get 3-4 clicks out of it.

As much as my dad would hate me for doing it, I could always borrow the MC out of his 74 just to see if mine is the issue or not. I could only see the problem being either the:
1. Master cylinder
2. Proportioning valve
3. Improperly adjusted push-rod
4. Non-compatible MC bore size

On the bright side of all of this, it has enough braking power that I can probably move my truck to the driveway and get it out of the slanted gravel pit.

Sorry if the post is jumbled. I'm a bit frustrated.