View Single Post
Old December 24th, 2022, 07:59 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option
GMCNUT will become famous soon enoughGMCNUT will become famous soon enough
Default Rarely seen 1966 "Sports Trim" equipped GMC 1000 found and saved

For as long as I have been a member here and for as far back as I can recall, I have wanted to find a real, short bed 66 with the rarely to never seen "Sports Trim" interior option package. For humpteen years I have watched and waited and one never materialized. I finally decided to search for the seats out of one alone and add them to any random 66 I liked, but alas, that too couldn't be had. Finally gave up trying and went on about my business with other trucks.

A few weeks back a friend in Mt Pleasant Michigan found this one and I almost died when I saw his Facebook group post with it on his trailer. I exclaimed immediately "Its mine!" and sent him a message begging for it, and luckily he wasn't yet attached and agreed to let me have it. Not exactly in the sort of shape any of you or me would want to find one in, but beggars can't be choosers when it comes to something that has absolutely proven to be impossible to find. I brought it home last week to Alabama and snapped a few interior and interesting photos of a few good aspects about it to share with you.

Not knowing how many of you are "in the know" on these and how many aren't I will share what I know about these most rare and mysterious trucks.
The Sports Trim option shows in the data book (see photo) as being a package of things unique to the 66 model year but unlike previously believed, not unique to Custom models only - Deluxe (plain jane generally option-free) models could also be so equipped at the factory if someone wanted this interior in a plain truck too. Anyway, the Sports Trim option package gave you the special bucket seats in Fawn and Dark Fawn (charcoal or grey looking) two toned vinyl, with matching two tone vinyl door panels, both left and right special dark fawn armrests, Brown carpeting everywhere except under the seats, a folding middle seat that doubled as an armrrest when folded or a seat when folded up, and Dark Fawn dash top paint.

I can't wait to re-construct this in a solid straight form and re-birth one of the rarest GMC's I know of - this one was factory red and white to boot so I got lucky with that combo. See what you think and I will post more shots shortly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66 Data Book Sport Trim listing.jpg (86.1 KB, Multiple views, 14 clicks)
File Type: jpg 1966 GMC Sport Trim Ad.jpg (509.7 KB, Multiple views, 17 clicks)
File Type: jpg 1966 GMC Sport Trim Ad 3.jpg (492.0 KB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
File Type: jpg 1966 GMC Sport Trim Ad 2.jpg (524.3 KB, Multiple views, 12 clicks)
File Type: jpg Red & White 66 GMC Sport Custom.jpg (135.8 KB, Multiple views, 19 clicks)

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1962 K1000 4x4 short wideside, BBW, 305D w/ SM420, PTO Winch

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)