View Single Post
Old April 4th, 2022, 02:14 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Painting went well! Phone did not. It broke on me and new parts are on order so this post is a placeholder until I can get it fixed and get the pictures off of it.

Materials I used:
400 grit sand paper I had laying around
Air hose and terrycloth towel
A decent paintbrush
Rustoleum Farm Equipment Enamel, White (supposed to be very tough once dry)
Masking tape
Tire, which should be mounted before painting

It was a DANG fine day at 70 degrees and a good breeze. I pulled out my new wheel, ugly and black as it was, and laid it on the back of my old junky trailer.

(picture of black wheel)

I started off by sanding down the black face of the wheel, just enough to scuff it up and give the paint something to hold on to. This didn't take any time at all.

(picture of sanded wheel all ugly and scratched up)

Then I shot it with the air hose to blow the dust off, and wiped it up with a terry cloth towel. Then I started painting, and painting, and painting.The first coat looked like a Tom Sawyer whitewash job, with streaks of black showing through and kinda ugly. Also I tried to keep the brush wet because it dried pretty fast and it would get grainy if you ran the brush over it after it started to set up. Once it was covered in streaks and whiteish, I just quit for a while and let it dry for an hour.

(picture of painted and streaky tire. Eww, you're grossed out and it's only your imagination right now!)

Then I hit it again, and again. Three coats in total.

(picture of finished white wheel without tire. So purty!)

Then I mounted the tire on it and found out that you can't do that until the paint has had a TON of time to cure, like a week or more.

(picture of wheel with tire, all scratched up and ruined. Trash, really Maybe set it on fire)

So I sanded, and sanded, and smoothed it out. Then I painted, and painted and painted some more. Three coats in all (again). And guess what? It turned out looking very good!
Much better than I thought it did.

(Purty wheel with tire, yes you can have harmony in life!)

And the tires? Well they're Power Kings of course!
Power King Super Traction II 7.50-16 E/10PR BSW -

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Look at that pie-crust chonky cut! And thin enough that you can turn the wheel without tearing your arm out of socket too. What more could a boy want?

(Tires - chonky front view, ready to growl, Rarrrr!)

Next up? Not sure. Still want to get that transmission problem fixed. I need to research it more now that she's got some trustworthy new slippers to walk around on. Stay tuned!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.