View Single Post
Old February 12th, 2023, 05:25 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: '65 GMC 1500 project. From the Netherlands

Quote:
That grease removal was one of my least favorite parts. I bought a 5 gallon bucket of Super Clean (purple stuff) and it helped a lot. Still wasn't fun though.

You're making some great progress. How cold is it where you are right now?
Thanks Fetch. the weather varies between 40 and 50 degrees Fahrenheit right now (converted it for you guys

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

)

For grease removal I use a product called Elbow Grease

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

The best way I've found is a trip to the local car wash to spray the 'wet junk' off and then use an old flat-bladed screwdriver and a putty knife to scrape off the thick, dry layers. It is so caked on that no solvent really penetrates it. A variety of brass, steel and nylon brushes are used also. For the last bits and to clean the surface I use my parts washer with a degreaser. To prep for paint a silicone remover fully cleans the surface.

Parts such as the bell housing takes a couple of hours to fully clean, but in the end, it's all worth it.

Forgot to mention, but the previous owners in the USA must have driven over a very hot asphalt road as there is a nice thick layer of asphalt in the fenders, covering up all the bolts. Fun stuff to find them and get them all loose. No rust or stubborn bolts, nowhere. That is a blessing.

The only rust spots I have to fix are the typical front fender reinforcements, a small hole in the floor, and a spot in the radiator support because of a leaking battery.