View Single Post
Old February 12th, 2023, 06:11 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: '65 GMC 1500 project. From the Netherlands

Quote:
Could be that the tar coating you're talking about was applied as undercoating when the truck was new. A good idea that worked well until the coating aged and cracked then allowed road grime to get under it and cause rust. We have all experienced the outcome of salt/dirt that found pockets and seams to rest in over the years - some of us more in the "Rust Belt" compared to the sunny southern states.
Pretty sure it is asphalt. I added a picture. Some layers are 3/4" thick. There's still lots of OEM undercoating on this truck, which is a very thin gray layer. It flakes off now. I have also found the original GM rustproofing in the doors. It also comes off in big chunks.

Anyway, this is a CA built truck and it had a Washington title on it when I bought it. It must have spent most of its life in very dry conditions as there is only very light surface rust on everything, except the usual rot in the fenders, rockers, doors, hood cab corners, windshield etc.

The picture is a shot of the right fender reinforcement, behind the front wheel. It has some damage and a piece of tin can along with lots of Bondo was used to 'fix' it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230211_112357.jpg (4.75 MB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)