View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2021, 03:46 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Alternator troubleshooting voltage drain

Lets take it easy here. We have NO IDEA what you are doing yet. We have NO IDEA why you are doing it.
You may or may not know all this, but I have to start somewhere.
1. You can't measure ANYTHING with a battery charger hooked up.
2. Blank
3. Blank
4. You show a meter reading of 13.55V and you say motor not running, so you are reading battery voltage or charger voltage. Normally a charged battery is 12.6V, So that's a little odd but batteries can be charged a little higher.
5. I see and read that you do have the alternator wired correctly as long as that white wire is in fact wired to the gen bulb. Then out the bulb to ignition switch "ON" terminal.

Hook it all back up and leave it hooked up.
6. Charge the battery, take off the charger. Test voltage across battery with motor not running and key off.
7. Start motor. Test voltage across battery again with motor running.
8. Report the two readings.
9. Stop disconnecting and testing other than no. 6 and no. 7.
10. If you have a battery drain, you don't know where it's at.
11. A bad battery will go dead on it's own. Your tests did not prove anything.
12. Do not look at any wiring diagrams or internet !!!!!!!!!!!! You have it wired correctly.
13. When you measure voltage on a truck/car motor, the black meter lead is on a good clean bare metal ground. (not on a wire). The red meter lead is on the wire or terminal you want to test for voltage.

Questions:
1. Does your charged battery (12.6V +) go dead overnight or what?
2. What is the complaint that caused you to start testing after the new alternator was installed????

IMPORTANT: When testing in No. 6 and No. 7. Place leads directly on battery posts and take reading. Then place leads on battery cable clamps and take reading. Both ways for 6 and 7. Report all voltage readings carefully to us. Meter on DC.

I will wait for tests results of 6 and 7 and the answers to the questions. I will respond if I get all that.

Last edited by AZKen; April 9th, 2021 at 04:22 AM.