View Single Post
Old September 3rd, 2013, 04:24 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:
The throwout bearing is the spinny sleeve thing. The pilot bearing is in the end of the crankshaft.
I'm not sure what the upper bolt is on the transfer case but I doubt it is a fill hole. It could be an inspection hole or an optional place for a vent tube if it was used in other vehicles?
The upper bolt "hole" turned out to be a linkage shaft covered in grime. Tasty!

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

This weekend I took off to the Blonde's parent's place for what I thought would be some fishin and heavy duty BBQ. Instead I was surprised with this bunch o goodies. I can never tell if her dad can stand me (I stink at reading people) so little things like this really make my day.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

If any of you guys have sons-in-law that you care about do something nice for them. It really makes a lasting impression.

As an encore he welded my stepside brace where my bolts broke off. We found 1/2 inch bolts that were almost exactly like the originals. Tack, tack. The nuts attached.

Back at the house I turned my attention back to the tranny. The spring I found was some kind of fork return spring for the shifter fork. I hooked it back up like this but it still made that awful skreeching noise.

The transmission cover plate was filthy and grimy with some kind of oil or grease so I put it in a bucket and poured my carb cleaner jug into it. Then I wiped it down with the fluid until it started coming clean.

Start to finish was around 10 minutes.

Now that it was clean I could see it had a big dent about the circumference of a finger in the front of the pan. I thought it might be a good opportunity to try my hand at smoothing out a dent. Here's the original dent. It's on the ridge to the left of the blue hammer handle in the pic.

I lightly scuffed it with sandpaper to better see where it was high and low. Then I banged on it with the pointy end of the Eastwood body hammer I mentioned earlier in the thread. I used the one that is the pointiest like an old kindergartener's pencil.

I alternated between banging on the dent using just a little more than the weight of the hammer and lightly sanding the other side to check the progress. After 20 minutes I had this:

Not too shabby right? I was giggling like a school girl. I must have been too loud though because the Redhead came out grumbling about all the banging noise. So I told her I was done and had to wire wheel this cover. She halfway showed some interest in trying it.

5 minutes later she was hooked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.