View Single Post
Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:06 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

And that was the end of my procrastination. I tried driving Cecilia with the spring back in place. It didn't help. I had the Redhead listen as I drove slowly past so she could hear the squeak. It was coming from up under the cab so that meant the transmission and not the transfer case. I'm not sure yet if that's good news.

I rolled up the sleeves on my sleeveless shirt and got started. I used a 5/8 inch wrench and drained the oil into a pan. It was a pretty good amount but it smelled like butt.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Next I started to remove the linkage. The little cotter pins didn't budge. They're really frozen in there. So I removed the bolts instead. They're 9/16".
As I took them off the Redhead wheeled them too. I've created a monster.

Bolts out, I had to tickle them with a hammer to get the brackets off the pins. Then I labeled them for reconnecting.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Moving rearward the next connection was the 4WD shifter. I pulled the two bolts off of the tailshaft on the tranny to get that free.

Finally I thought I'd need to pull off the little mini drive shaft between the transmission and the Rockwell T221 transfer case. I found four bolts on the end of the driveshaft by the transfer case. They were 1/2 inch. I worked all four of them off but the thing didn't budge.

So what could I do? It practically begged me to hammer on it. Who am I to disappoint? I hammered on it a little then I would switch off to prying on it with a big honking screwdriver. Finally I got it to slip out of one side. From there I worked it free of the other then banged the little U-bolts out with a hammer. Watch out, it'll fall on you if you're not careful.

Once its free you just have to pull it out of the tailshaft and it comes free.

I dont know if it matters but I marked the shaft and connections so I could put it right back where it came from in the same position. I'll clean it up and paint it with bedliner too.

The only things left are a few bolts at the front of the transmission. These crossmember bolts and maybe some on the flywheel.

I don't want to take a bolt off and have 40 springs pop out everywhere so I asked on the transmission forum what to do next.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.