View Single Post
Old February 18th, 2016, 08:20 AM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Too much timing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's GMC View Post
So how much is too much on these big engines? Reason I ask is I had mine set at 8 degrees advanced and the motor was good there, but for some reason I am not getting any Vacuum advance. I can tell this by using a timing light and disconnecting and reconnecting the vacuum hose and it makes absolutely no difference at idle. My 292 I6 would sound completely different when I did that. So my engine has been relying on mechanical advance...which seems to be fine as it's very responsive and pulls nicely.
Today I bumped my timing up to 12 degrees advanced and the motor sounds even better...more responsive all around and seems to idle smoother. I haven't driven it yet, but was wondering...you guys think 12 is to much? I know the factory setting is 6 degrees, but I'm getting no vacuum advance at idle. Carb is a 600 cfm edelbrock and works fine. Engine vacuum is 18 what ya call its. lol

Greetings TJ! The diaphragm in your vacuum advance is either cracked, or has a hole in it which will not allow it to work. I don't think 12 dgrees advance is excessive, however, I would replace the vaccum advance and reset the timing to 6 to 8 degrees BTDC.