View Single Post
Old November 11th, 2020, 08:29 PM

Truck: 1960 GMC K1000
anomalyjustin is on a distinguished road
Default 1962 305 V6 oil filter sizing issue

Hello everyone! I searched through the forum and across the internet and couldn't seem to find any information on my issue.
I just bought a Franken-truck that has a cab, that according to the VIN, is a 1960 or 1961 GMC K1000 series, although it doesn't have the eyebrow hood. It has a hood from the next body style that is flat across the front. The chassis and drivetrain seem to be from a 1962 model 3/4 or 1 ton 4x4. Its a dually. Dana 60 rear, dana closed knuckle 44 front, SM 420 4 speed, unknown twin stick transfer case. Motor is a 305v6 with a Stromberg WW and the intake has a 1962 date code.

The issue I'm having is I'm going through all the fluids and when I dropped the oil filter canister, the filter that was in there is smaller than the replacement P122 that is listed as the correct filter. The new P122 measures about 3 3/4” in diameter and the old filter about 3 3/8". They are both about 5 15/16” tall. If I use the P122, it physically fits in the housing, but there is only about an 1/8" to 3/16" space between the filter and the housing where the other had quite a bit more room, and I'm assuming better flow through and around the filter. I can't find any mention or part numbers or anything about this smaller filter. Anyone have any idea? Smallest one I could find linked to a GMC of this era was on Rock Auto and was still a smidge over 3.5". Help!