View Single Post
Old December 2nd, 2014, 04:48 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1960 Harley-Davidson of Macon Delivery Truck

Hello, Greg. Yes scratching can occur but as you say keep the contacting surfaces clean and away from shop tools like grinding equipment so no metallic dust can stick to the backside. It's not a bad idea to wax the back of magnetics either just like you do the vehicle surface. Make sure the flat surface you stick them to for storage is as clean as your truck, then just put a garbage bag over them and put them in a closet out of your shop 'till you need 'em again. The back of the magnetic and your truck must be completely dry when applied.

NONE of these products are good long-term on paint. all of them block natural light causing the surrounding paint to age at a different rate and even normal washings and waxing can leave a different sheen, ghost or texture to the painted surface below once exposed again. When it comes to lettering and graphics long-term it still should always be stressed that a re-paint will probably be needed when removed.

Nowadays I would think they will take your directional artwork, make a digital image then print it to vinyl decal material to the size you tell them. Then it would be applied to the appropriate size magnetic sheet and cut into pieces to your specs.

Now, old school like I know better would be drawing a pattern for the arrow without the lettering, and one for the lettering within it. Then I could use both sides of the arrow pattern for the directions without reversing the lettering. Then I would transfer my drawings to the magnetic. Then it is a matter of matching colors and brush-painting. After drying cut by-hand into the needed pieces.

The full vehicle wraps nowadays may be an alternative without uneven paint changes but for this classic truck, that would be some pretty big money, I bet! They ain't cheap anyways.

Hope this helps some---DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday