View Single Post
Old July 27th, 2014, 12:16 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside

Tailgate update. A short while back I was cutting up lumber leftover from a couple of projects in order to experiment making a tailgate for the truck with stuff I have on hand (see somewhere above). Dang budget...LOL.

Well, I got to get rolling with that today. I also just need a reason to use this...

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

This is a Shopsmith that my now departed grandfather had ever since I can remember...which is a long time ago.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Once he passed it got tucked away in my dad's shop for years. My dad eventually gave it to me. He wasn't using it, so why not get it out of the shop. Well, I ended up tucking it away in my shed for 5 or 6 years. Then we moved here to 'Bama and I tucked it away in the corner of the garage where it got covered with boxes and stuff for several more years. Then in late 2013 or early 2014 I was wanting to rebuild a bench we had that had rotted away. So I am in the garage thinking I need to get a table saw, that way I can buy the lumber and rip it down to the sizes I need. Frustrated with my lack of tools, I look over at the stack of boxes and stuff and spy the Shopsmith that has not been used in a good 20 years. I already have a table saw....and a drill press, sanding disc, and lathe!

So I promptly dug that puppy out and rebuilt the rolling base that had rotted away so that I could easily move it from garage to driveway. Then with a little internet research on the main body and an ebay search for guide rails, as mine were way to rusted; I got the thing running again fairly quickly and easily. Most of it, including the internal belt had held up much better than expected. Wait this is a truck thread not a shopsmith thread!

Sorry guys, I just love having that little piece of family history on hand.

So put that baby up in drill press mode...

Clamp the boards together to mark locations for the dowel pins...

Why dowel pins...well, I am not a real woodworker, so I did a little reading and dowel pins seemed like a good strong way to join these boards together. I arbitrarily decided on 6 inch spacing for the dowel pins starting 3 inches from the end of the boards for the first pin....why...I don't know. Sounded good in my head.

The boards I am using are 2 2x4's and 2 1x8's, Why? Budget, that is what I had on hand that seemed to fit the back of bed nicely when I stacked them up.

Again, the layout I was playing with is back a few posts.

Using these dowel pins...

Test fit of the dowel pin looked good.

So I decided to press fit the boards together before staining and gluing. Good thing I did. I had two boards that were just not pressing together on one end. Everything looked lined up, but when I removed the clamps for a better look...I somehow missed drilling one of the holes.

Test fit is always a good idea!

Here they are after first coat of Pecan Gloss.

Why that color? You guessed it, that is what I had on hand, leftover from that bench project I mentioned

So now it is hot as Hades out there and I am taking a break. Is this a waist of time?...maybe, but I am enjoying it none the less

I hope to use the ShopSmith for making my bed wood when the time comes to tackle that part of the project. Of course I will have to price out the expense of doing that versus a ready made kit.