View Single Post
Old August 8th, 2018, 01:15 PM

Truck: 1969 4000 ToroFlow, Massey Ferguson 1100 with a 478, Payloader with a 305, all adapted in my shop
massey478 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "H" or "X" Pipe On A V6?

These connecting pipes make the most difference if you have mufflers that are restrictive. They allow both mufflers to handle the flow. My experience is that by enriching the fuel with bigger jet sizes to compensate for the alcohol content of today's fuels which drops power output and adding an MSD ignition system will make much more difference. Timing advanced above book recommendations also is an improvement. The alcohol in fuel allows you to do this. I never use a timing light except to mark where I get the best performance. At idle, no vacuum advance connected, I advance the distributor until it starts to miss, retard it to where it labors, then set it halfway between the two as a starting point. I set it just enough later that it does not try to kick back at the starter. Road tests then verify it is good, no spark knock. For the 478 in my Massey tractor I set it while running on the PTO dyno. I invariably find that if I check it with a light after setting it this way it is quicker than the factory setting. I have commented on the advantages of both jet size increase and MSD on other forums.