View Single Post
Old August 31st, 2013, 04:16 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 K1500
pasadenajim is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Header fab for 305 new photos 30 Aug 13

I asked him early on if he would consider building other sets and his answer was a pretty emphatic "no". He took my truck on because of the oddity of the extra large V6 which to him meant "unique" and something he had never done before. The guy doing the build is a perfectionist and a consumate TIG welder, his hot button is anything new and different. As for cost, I believe I will be in the $2k range for the entire header + exhaust sys + Jet Hot Coating + Mufflers + hangers and "stuff". Pricy .. yes, but I believe I can safely say there won't be too many 65 K1500s running around just like this one. Just got the Red Oak back from the cabinet guy who ran each board thru a joiner and planer so we know each one is straight and flat. We let them sit clamped together for the past 60+ days in this Phoenix AZ heat to insure each board was as dry as possible and not given the chance to twist or warp. Still there was some movement, each plank will come in at .710" instead of the preferred .750". They are all clamped back together and waiting for me to cut to length, dado and stain, before fitting to the slats I built some time back. No bolt heads except for the sides and front. Will do some photos on that endeavor too.