Thread: Terrible milage
View Single Post
Old June 20th, 2022, 04:40 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Terrible milage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagarra View Post
From observing my gas level gauge it seems like my issue is still around. Used 1/4 of a tank for a distance of 11 miles. I was thinking about buying a new metering block and replacing the needle and seat just to see if that affects the milage. buying a new carburetor for about $500 isn't out of the question, the metering block is $200 plus another $30 for a new needle and seat. Maybe a new needle and seat first and then revaluate the problem. any ideas?

thanks
If the needle and seat was the problem you won't be able to set the fuel level. With the engine idling, remove the plug on the right side of the fuel bowl. The fuel level should be at the bottom of the hole.

Another easy thing you could do, you can look down the carburetor (while the engine is at idle) to see if fuel is dripping out of the booster nozzles, if it is the fuel level is too high. This will make idle very hard to set (too rich all the time).

If you can't adjust the fuel level either the fuel pressure too high or the needle and seat is bad.

Also I wouldn't relies on the fuel gauge, not accurate. Topped up the tank and do the math. This is the only way to now for sure.

On a side note: you could add an O2 sensor and indicator to the exhaust pipe to measure your mixture. This will tell you if it is really rich or lean.