View Single Post
Old November 25th, 2016, 05:26 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside, 1961 1000 Wideside
snazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 1960 Pick up VIN location

Don't know if I should step in here, but just wanted to share my knowledge and research on the subject. I have a 1960 and 1961 GMC, both 1000 series. Both have factory drilled holes on the left door (A) pillar, apparently for a serial number (VIN) plate, but no plate was ever riveted there. Both factory paint. Instead, the serial number is stamped on the ratings plate on the left kick panel area. Both vehicles were inspected here in Colorado after being brought here from out of state and were titled from that serial number location. Yes I have heard that Texas is particularly strict on title issues.

I have also taken the time to look at the picture albums on this site and elsewhere, and have seen multiple 60 and 61's with the same thing: 2 holes on the door pillar with the same spacing and size, and no plate there. I assume those trucks also have their serial numbers on the data plate. I also have heard that GMC's from this era do not have frame stamped serial numbers.
I hope this helps.