View Single Post
Old November 15th, 2014, 01:08 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option
GMCNUT will become famous soon enoughGMCNUT will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Correct Windshield Data for 1960 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryGMC View Post
That last pic is from the inside.
The 2nd pic shows the correct green tinted "E-Z-Eye" logo - E Z Eye was used in the 50s cars and trucks and was later replaced around 1961-62 with "Soft Ray" which was used into the 70's. Seems like E Z Eye glass was laminated where Soft Ray was whatever you call the opposite of laminated - single pane in other words. In any case, the green tint did fade and depending on what part of the country the truck sat exposed in, some are worse than others - here in the South, we get a lot of hot hot sunshine, and when you walk upto a soft Ray or E Z Eye glass that's been here 50+ years, its nearly clear. Barrys 2nd pic looks pretty badly faded. The glass started out dramatically greener than clear glass and was offered on trucks as an option - had nothing to do with what style of truck you got, because it was a stand alone option, but seems like tinted windshields were part of the Custom Cab option - so if you got the full foam seat, passenger visor and armrest, and chrome around the windshield, then the windshield itself would be green tinted. My 66 Chevrolet is a custom cab and oddly it has factory tinted glass all the way around - doors, vents and big rear glass. There is a company in Washington state that will etch your E-Z-Eye logos and date codes on new glass you send or buy from them, but now I cant remember who that company is - been a long time since I was considering being that picky about my glass. Now I am OK without the logos but like you I want the right green glass - so today's reproductions are about right, BUT you have to really search to find a company selling green glass windshields with NO dark band at the top - this is incorrect for 50's and 60's trucks - only green glass top to bottom with no added sun shade band. Most people want the sun shaded band on their glass for the obvious benefit, but its not correct and makes the truck look very different to me. Vintage Glass in Atlanta will special order windshields for these 60s trucks with only green tint / no band. So good luck with your replacement - thats a **** good looking truck.

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1962 K1000 4x4 short wideside, BBW, 305D w/ SM420, PTO Winch

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)