View Single Post
Old July 9th, 2016, 03:05 PM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Plans for a 478 build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockv6 View Post
The first thing to consider with this build is to lighten on the rotating mass, going with lighter rods and smaller piston pins which will require custom pistons. Basically you can use Chrysler 426 Hemi connecting rods and have the rod journal diameters turned down and at the same time even have it stroked to get over 500 cubic inches and the advantage to that is the crankshaft can be fully internally balanced. You will be able to get that V6 screaming safely at 5500 rpms but of course those hollow stem sodium filled exhaust valves need to be replaced with solid stem valves. I did at one time have the part numbers for the Cat valves but have not had any luck finding them so a custom set of Manley stainless steel valves would be best. For ignition I'm really thinking about a 3 coil pack from the Buick V6, Thunder V12 has a 6 pack setup for the 702 V12, I'm sure they can figure one out for the V6. As far as induction I'm thinking more of a belt driven roots type blower but it's up to you if you want twin turbo's.
Ok, I keep forgetting about the custom pistons. Man I'd love to find that build one day.

Super charger would be really neat. I like having a hood though. haha But that would be something you never see everyday! And that 478 would eat just about any stinking big block chevy alive!

Even a 6 coil pack and a bigger carb on a stock engine outta do something. Maybe 600 to 750 cfm.

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.