View Single Post
Old March 10th, 2013, 06:37 PM

Truck: 62 1000
Rick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 478M piston dilema.

Stephen,

Rick Rusconi here. I remember emailing you several times when you were working on the 401. I too was working on a 401. I think we have/had similar problems. When I built my 401, I bought a set of pistons that had no markings at all to tell their brand. I too was concerned with clearance, as I did not want to play the "in & out" engine game. So, I did as you are doing by heating a stock (original) piston and one of my replacement set in an oven and comparing expansion. I found that my replacement set grew by .003 more than the stock set. So, I had the machine shop increase the bore by .003.
It is now 6+ years later & about 35,000 miles and I have had no problems with the 401. I have no "rattle" when cold. So, I think you are on the right track, by comparing expansion in an oven. If you are looking for engine parts, I will pass on a possible contact. This is the person I bought all engine parts from to build my 401. He had or got everything I needed, I mean everything. Now, the last time I contacted him was 2007, so he may not be in business now. Note: in 2006 I went to his shop to pick up the parts I ordered. He had at least a dozen sets of 478 pistons. I do not remember sizes, or brand names. But they were there.
Good Luck

Frank Correia, PO Box 753, Pleasant Grove, Calif. 95668, (916) 655-3185
email:

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?