Thread: Got a 478...
View Single Post
Old July 19th, 2022, 01:08 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Got a 478...

Took the time to get everything measured on the 478. The wear is a little more than I first anticipated, but most falls on the outer end of the spec. A loose engine is a happy engine...

Also discussed basically everything with BB V6 about these engines, thank you very much for that Pete.

There's wear in the cylinder bores but I'll just re-hone them and re-use the existing rings. The pistons look good.

As you can see I disassembled, then decked the heads and exhaust ports.
The heads and block are now at the machine shop for sleeving of a couple of worn valve guides, and having the block cleaned. Positive valve seats will be installed also.

I first wanted hardened seats on the intakes (exhausts have them from the factory), but there is little meat in the intake runners for a seat. While it will be run on propane, it will not have to work hard in my pickup, and combined with these engines' excellent cooling capacity it should not be needed really.

The block will only be washed at the machine shop. Got most of the parts in for the rebuild except for the rod bearings. Main bearings are still in spec, and good to use.

The exhaust manifolds are badly warped and the (previous) mechanics tightened the bolts way too much to try to get it to seal again. Almost every bolt 'ear' has a crack and will need to be brazed back together, milled, then painted in factory yellow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220715_165018.jpg (4.88 MB, Multiple views, 11 clicks)