Thread: inline six woes
View Single Post
Old July 25th, 2014, 05:44 PM

Truck: 1966 GMC
Pops is on a distinguished road
Default Re: inline six woes

Thanks Doug!
Your input is valued. As much evil as we find on the internet, its also an amazingly wonderful asset. I have gotten more information through guys like yourself than anyone else. Never need to apologize. I am still learning what to call things, and, sometimes I don't explain myself well enough.
I have two vibrations going on:
--One is sitting at light and engine is not silky smooth and therefore I feel and hear vibration transfer through cab. My mirror shimmies until I give it a little gas. This is part of the tuning I have been working on. Might add, its more of a vibration than rough running. (May easily be part of valve problem your are referring to.) To be honest, somedays the truck seems to run and smell a little differently. I sometimes want to blame my concerns on a watered down batch of gas, and/or the personality of the Rocheseter. I've also had times where a slightly richer setting helps with vibration.

--The second vibration feels like wheels out of balance between 10 and 35 mph. Whether going up in speed or coming down in speed. It just started doing this in the last month. My first inclination was tie rod components or ball joints as they are older and have deteriorated grease cups. It could be tire belts? But, yesterday I felt a clunk in rear on take off. This just started. Man at parts store said he would bet on u-joints.

Regarding the carburetor, I have a Model B if pictures tell the difference. I don't have a tag (remanufactured) but it does say BC on back side. I believe the "C" represents auto choke though mine is manual. I'm going to check fuel pressure soon as I have read that too much pressure will cause flooding; even leaking. My gasket at float bowl is always moist.

Better stop here or this will become a book - lol.
Have a great day.