View Single Post
Old May 30th, 2020, 05:53 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 1002 GMC V6-305E
LEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enoughLEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enoughLEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enough
Default Re: SM420 and 44Axel

I can tell both of you about a bad experience with power-lock spicer carriers. I built one for another truck i owned and was using genuine gm posi-trac fluid. I ran the axle over 1.5 years and didn't change the fluid. One day, on my way to a funeral home, i made a sharp, rh turn. I heard a loud "bang" and lost all motion with the truck. I got it back to dad's shop, removed the inspection plate, and found that the slip agent in the lube had failed. I had broken the head of the pinion gear off the pinoin shaft, and cracked the case of the rear axle, which dad had to weld up. I started to research why the lube failed, and discovered gm recommended a 12-month replacement for the lube if the posi-trac fluid was used. As i think about it now, i laugh at my self, although it wasn't funny at the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.