View Single Post
Old April 10th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: #6 not firing with eBay HEI, any ideas?

The main reason I don't recommend the aftermarket hei is that it's made up of offshore junk. And is not better than the stock dizzy. Second reason is if the stock dizzy is reconditioned or in good shape it's really reliable and simple to maintain. Now the pertronix is not really an hei it's just an electronic pick up sensor with a good coil. You don't really need the coil though. They work fine with a stock coil. But the pertronix is known to fail and does have a failure rate that is less than ideal. Note I do run some of there stuff, but always carry a spare or the stock points. And most of the time the pertronix has to be ordered. Now I have to add I have spent countless hours playing and modifying with the big v 6 engines. Most mods did nothing or very little in the low to mid range where I was trying to build torque and hp. I have had some success and did manage over a hundred hp and 140 pounds of torque increase a 3500 rpm. With a 305. I still have this engine. And will posts some pics and specs one of these days. Barry