View Single Post
Old October 31st, 2020, 07:38 AM

Truck: 1965 5000
mrtheroofable is on a distinguished road
Default 1965 GMC VH5000 Sanford Fire Truck

Here is my 1965 GMC VH5000 (Vacuum boosted heavy duty) Sanford fire truck. It has a 401 V6 engine, 750GPM Hale pump and a 2,000 gallon steel water tank. Cab has heat but no air conditioning or radio.

This was originally a tanker (water hauler) for a local fire company and was in service from 1966 to 1997 when it was replaced with modern truck and sold privately. It was in near mint condition when sold but had been parked outside and not run since about 2010. It has a bit of surface rust on the hood but only a couple spots where the rust is through.

My primary project is getting the truck operating smoothly. I was able to get the truck running decently after replacing the points, condenser, coil, spark plugs, battery and gas. Also the plug wires were in the wrong spots but fired right up after fixing that.

You may have seen some of my posts looking for parts. If anyone has links or part numbers for any engine components for the 401 feel free to reply or message me, it would be greatly appreciated (hoses, gaskets, oil filters, thermostats, etc). I have trouble finding correct part numbers due to obsolete part numbers from the service manual and limited information available online.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMC.JPG (27.0 KB, Multiple views, 15 clicks)
File Type: jpg 1782.jpg (193.8 KB, Multiple views, 14 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_1893.jpg (1.54 MB, Multiple views, 19 clicks)