View Single Post
Old January 27th, 2013, 01:05 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Talking 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Here we go guys - and my kids will be here so please remember that in the comments and keep them G rated - This is Cecilia. She is named after the old Simon and Garfunkel song that I only knew the chorus to at the time.
Don't google it. The rest of the song isn't really for all audiences

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

"Cecilia, you're breaking my heart! You're shakin' my confidence daily!"

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

The name came to me as I was trying to get her started and the song kept playing through my head. And it kinda fits. We've been trying it out for a while now. It "feels" right.

Previous owner said everything was original except for a little mud in the corners and the turn signal, which broke on him and he couldn't find a replacement. It has an alternator too, but I didn't have the heart to tell the old timer that they came with generators. And I don't mind, thought I'd kinda like to have a generator some day.

These pix are a bit newer because she has her fenders off. They were removed prior to transport.
I'll have pix of that soon. I like to do "step by step" documentation so it'll kinda be like that i guess.

My youngest driving

The seat is a style I haven't seen before, though it looks like it has been clipped to the springs since heck was a pup

Kids making memories and butt-prints

Kids driving and playing "What's this lever/button/knob do?"

Eating apples in the bed. Something about "Cecilia" makes the kids hungry. In the first week we've had snacks on her five times, lunch three times, and dinner twice. Wife wasn't home

This is one of my best little helpers and the most ardent supporter of my buying Cecilia. I think she's angling for an inheritance.

My plan right now is just to get her up and running well. Today was bolting the cowling corner back on, airing the tires and moving her to the backyard so I can work in private. I'd like to paint her back to the original color too but any talk of paint and the kids get all weepy eyed. They're patina fans and I haven't even talked to them about "patinas". They just like the look. We'll see how that goes. I also want to add PS because she's a longstepper and she turns on a half dollar. Whew!

This might end up going anywhere by the time it's over. Flames and a flux capaciter anyone?

With my hip being what it is my oldest helper volunteered to air all four tires for me so i don't have to get up and down. And she hates getting dirty. She's a peach.

This weekend is a carb rebuild and a general cleaning. Perhaps some brillo on that crappy rattle can primer.

Next weekend I'll replace that passenger window and work on getting the original AM radio with the letters GMC on it running. If you're working on these old trucks and haven't sampled the same music the guys that built it were listening to...well, you're missing out! :metal:

Funny story, right now while we tinker with her we're piping an old record out the window, "K-Tel's Looney Tunes, 24 Great Hilarious Songs"

Our Playlist:

Code:
"They're Coming to Take Me Away" by Jerry Samuels aka Napoleon XIV 
 "Along Came Jones by The Coasters 
 "Hello Mudduh, Hello Fadduh!" by Alan Sherman 
 "The Bird's the Word" by The Rivingtons 
 "Kookie, Kookie (Lend Me Your Comb)" by Edward Byrnes 
 "The Witch Doctor" by David Seville 
 "Baby Sittn' Boogie" by Buzz Clifford 
 "Transfusion" by Nervous Norvus 
 "Little Eeefin Annie" by Joe Perkins 
 "Haunted House" by Jumpin Gene Simons 
 "My Boomerang Won't Come Back", by Charlie Drake 
 "The Streak" by Ray Stevens 
 "Rubber Duckie" by Harv Norman 
 "Tip-Toe Through The Tulips With Me" by Tiny Tim 
 "Charlie Brown" by The Coasters 
 "Ape Call" by Nervous Norvus 
 "Shaving Cream" by The Hustlers 
 "Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow" by The Rivingtons 
 "My Old Man's a Dustman" by Lonnie Donegan 
 "Little Red Riding Hood" by Sam The Sham & The Pharoahs 
 "Dinner With Drac" by John Zacherie 
 "I Love Onions" by Susan Christie 
 "Mother-in-Law" by Ernie K-Doe 
 "Chipmonk Song" by David Seville and The Chipmunks
Now if that doesn't make you scratch your head and slap the closest person to you I don't know what will.

We did finally get her running enough to move to the back but I ran outta gas midway through the gate.

It's a good thing these great old trucks can bump forward with the starter if necessary. The gas tank was covered by the fence.

5 gallons of pure gas (no ethanol) later and she was running-ish again. At least enough to backed her into her new home. She runs like a one legged duck.

She still has the original 305 V6 engine in her too. The cool thing about that is that by modern numbers it puts out 175hp & 388 ft/lbs of torque and back then it was only rated at 142hp & 260 ft/lbs of torque. They rated hp and torque different back then which explains the difference in the numbers.
Oh and it weighs 840 lbs! That's just the engine!

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; January 27th, 2013 at 01:19 AM.