View Single Post
Old August 2nd, 2017, 09:58 PM

Truck: 1964 3/4ton Factory 4WD
5Tractorguy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need ignition upgrade help/advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
When there is a "normal "spark, the fuel ignites. The words "Hotter Spark" were invented by ignition parts manufacturers. You won't get anything out of a "Hotter Spark" except the same combustion.
If you mean a "hotter plug", that has nothing to do with "power", as you say you want.

A "hotter" plug is one that is of a higher heat range than another. Once you understand the heat range, you'll see why there's no such thing as a "hotter" plug.

The spark plug acts as a heat sink for the combustion chamber. The plug's heat range needs to be matched to the chamber temperature, not the general engine temperature.

Running a higher heat range plug accomplishes nothing positive, same as running a colder heat range plug.

I advise good timing with good fresh distributor components, wires, plugs, fuel filters, air filters, carb rebuild, tire pressure. In other words, a tune up. Best you can do to get "power". The max power is already built into the motor when running per factory specs. The motor has a max RPM, max torque.

You can get more speed thru the drivetrain gearing or more pulling power thru the drivetrain gearing, all the way to the tire size. Not the motor. Not the spark. If you want to redesign the internals of the motor, then you may get more power. But "more power" means different things to different people. Not sure what exactly is wrong with the performance of your motor or what you need more of. You must access the overall condition of the motor if you feel it is weak. Compression test first. Oil consumption thru exhaust. Exhaust system. Carburetor. Fuel pump, clogged fuel filters, clogged air filters, bad gas, bad clutch, brakes dragging, loads too heavy....all depending on exactly what you think is missing regarding "power".

You see the trouble others are having screwing around with ignition. The only thing HEI gives is no points wear, reliability and no adjustment. Not power. Points have served well for many years. I would run away from Pertronix. The only HEI to consider is the one explained on our pages by Jolly.

Contact member WE7X Ron Johnson. He has the parts and instructions for converting.

Some good things to consider and think about Ken.

I've been down this road once on here so I didn't want to sound like a broken record, but the back story is...

Is a 20,000 mile '61 GMC 5000 12ft flat bed, used to be a fire truck. Ever since I got it home there has been an issue with it being able to pull the hills or loads (even a 2400lbs tractor). It has a bad tendency to slow down on the slight hills and I have to drop a gear. That's from 35mph without being in overdrive.

I've done just about everything to the engine except pull the heads and oil pan. Compression is 120+/-, ignition has all been done, carb rebuilt a couple times ETC... Maybe someone messed with the jets?

So at this point it either is what it is for a 56yro truck, or there's something I'm still overlooking.