View Single Post
Old August 5th, 2017, 06:53 AM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Need ignition upgrade help/advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's GMC View Post
Jake, did you ever get a chance to put those new intake gaskets on? Lightly buff the surfaces? Also did you reseal the valley pan?

351 power specs are: 180 hp @ 3400 and 312 pound ft @ 1800-2000 gross

351E power specs are: 220 hp @ 4000 and 320 pound ft @ 1600 gross

So not a Ton of power to begin with but plenty of torque to haul that thing at a decent speed. Specs are 4-6 degrees advanced so if you had to add an extra 5 degrees advance just to make it run decently I have to wonder if the timing jumped? The chains on these are not very tight so that could be a possibility. I haven't read of it happening yet, but there's always a first time.
Vacuum leak already mentioned.....check all gaskets and hoses.
When you did the carb rebuild did you check to see if the throttle shafts in the carb were all worn out? Vacuum leak through there will cause backfiring and power loss.

Greetings fellow members!

I agree with TJ. Although rare, timing chain "jumps" have been known to happen, and when they do, the engine runs really crappy, and you have to advance the ignition timing to even get the engine to start and run. I know. I had a '70 Buick Le Sabre in which the timing chain "jumped" causing the problems that I just described. If the chain has "jumped" and you have no (or known) vacuum leaks, you will have a very low vacuum reading on your vacuum guage indicating "late valve timing," and as I previously said, your engine will run really lousy and have no power.