Thread: 3 on the tree
View Single Post
Old April 27th, 2013, 10:34 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC Pickup 305e V6
melmashman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3 on the tree

Hi Ray and Others,
I am actually getting closer to doing something to the transmission on my 1965 GMC Truck/Camper with a V6 305e and three on the column. My understanding is that it is a 3/4 ton truck with a 1 ton rear end.

I found a shop that specializes is transmission changes for older trucks in Tucson. Here is my need: I plan on doing some cross country trips and even returning to Alaska from Arizona. I also will be taking many short trips in Arizona. Of course there will be some mountain driving, but I can do that at low speed. I am not looking for great gains in mpg, just the ability to not be a traffic hazard on interstates.
Currently it is geared to go up ANY mountain, but seems like it is going to explode at 55mph. It would also be nice to have a synchronized 1st gear.

I think a 4 or 5 speed transmission would be a wonderful way to enhance the engine's life if I plan on going 65mph max. I am willing to cut a hole in the floor. I am also willing to change the rear end gear ratio. I know that a simple overdrive would be a solution, but I wonder if the 4 or 5 speed would be a better match for my long term needs.

I would like to be reassured that a 4 or 5 speed is really designed to handle the load of a camper. I don't really need an automatic. I plan on avoiding city driving.

Remembering that I have a pretty heavy camper on it, is a 4 or 5 speed recommended? The transmission would be rebuilt and a new clutch would be inserted (the old one has over 100K on it). I would prefer the 5 speed if it makes sense. Does it make sense? Also, what specific transmission should I be seeking.

Thanks for any advice you can provide. I value it!
Mel