Thread: 3 on the tree
View Single Post
Old April 29th, 2013, 10:02 PM

Truck: 1960 C-10 Short Fleet
raycow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3 on the tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmashman View Post
I was looking at a site that had the NV 4500 and it was going for nearly $4k by itself. I was thinking that the whole job could be done for that, but perhaps I am not being realistic.
Do you know of suppliers for the A833 and the NV 4500 that might be more reasonable?
For $4K I would hope that NV4500 is a new one.

Seriously, I was thinking a trans for a swap like that would come from ebay, craigslist, or a salvage yard. I mean, that's where I usually look for mine. However, I can certainly understand your wanting some kind of warranty with it.

I did a quick check for rebuilt units and found the following:
http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cata...smissions.html
http://www.heavytruckparts.net/searc...Y6&PartID=4000

Drivetrain.com is a well-known supplier that has been around for a while. The WM Cohen outfit I have never heard of before. It might be worthwhile to do a more extensive search (for price) before you commit to a supplier.

The main advantage of buying "used" rather than rebuilt is that you usually don't have to pay a core charge and you can get additional parts which don't normally come with a rebuilt. Thiis is especially important with the MY6, because you definitely need the correct shifter, mounting plate, and linkage rods for it. That particular shifter was not used on any other transmission and was never offered to the aftermarket. The shifter (or its parts) are no longer available from GM. Hurst doesn't sell parts for it either, although I understand that Hurst may offer a rebuilding sevice (not sure how they do that).

A salvage yard unit will usually carry an "out-the-door" warranty. That means it is guaranteed to be good as purchased, but not for any extended length of time after that. It is best to ask how much time you have to install and test it. On ebay or craiglslist, any warranty would be up to the individual seller.

If you want to try for a rebuilt MY6, ask if the seller can supply the shifter, even if you have to pay extra for it. This is less important on the NV4500, as the shift mechanism is located in the top cover and those will usually interchange between different models. The NV4500 stick can be swapped if you need a particular shape to clear your seat or dash.

Just as a reminder, if you want the NV4500, it has to be for a Dodge truck application in order to accommodate the thickness of the adapter plate. The input shaft on the GM version is too short to use with an adapter. Also, the Dodge unit has to be for a gas engine, not diesel (you want a 1-1/8" input spline).

On the A833, you want the GM version (often called MY6) and it must have the regular GM bolt pattern. Ask to see a picture of the front face if there is any doubt. Either trans needs to be for 2WD (not 4WD) or you will have to find some potentially expensive parts to adapt it.

Ray