View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2014, 06:08 AM

Truck: 1961 GMC 4000 (Fontaine flatbed) w/ 305B engine
Crosshairs6 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1961 GMC 4000 Rescue and repair

I have the entire fuel system back in the truck and fuel is running great to the carburetor. I put 5 gallons of fuel in the tank. No leaks anywhere with the fuel lines and the gas gauge is working perfectly. I put the new plug wires and coil on today which I purchased from NAPA. I cleaned out the ignition wiring connector on the firewall with compressed air and contact cleaner after using a wire brush on the contacts. I traced the wires from the distributor and all connections look good.
I replaced the battery terminal connectors as well. I tried to start the truck this evening and I am not getting any spark at all. I assume it's the distributor (points) that are bad. I have been reading some of the posts from "Ray" regarding troubleshooting the ignition. I will try this again tomorrow. I do believe I will upgrade the points to the Pertronix ignition setup. I have also talked to Cayoterun regarding this upgrade. I would like to get the truck running with what I have now if possible. I will know more after tomorrow.

I also need to do a compression test on the engine. That is a gauge I do NOT have so I will be looking for that as well tomorrow.

Thanks for all the messages I received regarding the truck. It is just a matter if time before I have her back on the road. Thanks to all the experts on this site whose posts I have read to get me this far. More to follow!

Own a 1961 GMC 4000 (Fontaine Flatbed) with a 305B engine