View Single Post
Old April 6th, 2014, 02:24 AM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside

Well just about got this thing clean today. I can see that shiny brass now.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

The only way I can check the progress on it is using my cell phone camera to look at it. Just can't get my eyeballs directly on it.

Well, to have worked on this thing most of the day, I don't seem to have gotten to far.

Seems to take me forever to get all the old gasket material off the manifolds. Must have been super glued on there.

Also pulled the valley pan and got all the bubbly paint off of it and cleaned that gasket area with shopvac in on hand and rags stuffed in all openings to keep junk out of the engine.

Decided to pull the distributor in case oil was blowing through there as Culver had suggested. I had really expected there to be a gasket or o-ring where the distributor sits on the block that would need replacing, but there wasn't. Am I mistaken on this assumption or did someone prior mess up by not putting one there???

Also, what's the best way to prep the intake manifold for paint, since the current paint job is flaking off? Note: I do not have access to any type of media blaster.

BarryGMC - may be a dumb question, but hey, I never claimed to be smart!

When I get to a point where I can check the valve lash, it seems as you stated, that has to be done with the engine hot. So do you pull the covers and let it run with them off, or let it get hot then attempt to pull the covers?