View Single Post
Old April 6th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside

One of the first thing I do if the truck runs poorly is go through the carb, and check the ignition. Then I put valve cover gaskets in because most of them leak. If it has a Pcv valve like yours I clean it out. I do the oil change and run it a bit. It usually runs better. Most of the time though it's not running quite right. A miss or an occasional pop through the carb. This is when I check the lash on a solid lifter rig. And yes I pull the covers off hot. But since I already had them off once its easy. Then if it still has symptoms you can more easily narrow it down. I also some were in that process power wash the engine and trans. It really depends on the weather here though. Here there are 4 or 5 months that's not practical. With a clean and good running engine I then can. Look for any oil leaks as I shake down the rig. Honestly besides the valve cover gaskets the only places that usually really leak oil are the front and rear main seals. At this point I use the engine and start to take note of any other symptoms such as oil use or smoke. Then I go through a whole other process. Barry