View Single Post
Old January 14th, 2015, 03:23 AM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road
Default Cayoterun's new folly--GMC/Chevy bus

An introduction of another possible project. A little off the beaten path, but this is an interesting old bus. I found it in a farmers junk at his estate sale. Being a lover of all old iron, it caught my attention and didn't want to see it go to the crusher. It at some time in it's past had been converted to a motorhome. The work looks as if it was done by professionals in it's usable life. It was hard to track down it's make and model as no title, data plates, serial#s, etc. could be found. It's built like a tank, about as heavy, and all bolt together construction.
It had a chevrolet name plate on the front grille at the sale, but had been removed by the time I picked it up the next day. The engine is missing, but all else seems in good restorable condition with minimum rust. All steel body.
With the help of others on a Chevy site I'm a member, it was determined to be built by Wayne bus bodies in Indiana.
It was designed by a Mr. Gemmer for Wayne Bodies in 1938. Design was called the "Full Forward Control Conversion". The bodies were designed to be used on multiple makes of running gears.
They even had "fender skirts"---both front and back.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Scroll down a good ways in the history pics to find this bus with history and details on the link. Interesting read.

I'm watching for a low mileage 70s Chevy/GMC farm grain truck to use the chassis and running gear under it to get the later model suspension. Use a V-8, 4sp/w2spd differential.-----No V-12 this time, darn-it!

I'll do my best to find a GMC truck and title it as a GMC.
Mods, if this is permissible here, I'll try to keep a build thread running if/when I get started on it.

Wish me Luck, as I'll need all I can get.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motorhome bus 001.JPG (773.1 KB, Multiple views, 58 clicks)
File Type: jpg Motorhome bus 004.JPG (914.3 KB, Multiple views, 58 clicks)

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.

Last edited by Cayoterun; January 14th, 2015 at 04:09 AM.