View Single Post
Old February 7th, 2024, 01:54 PM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Crate Motor swap Info Help - 1960 GMC K1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRybas View Post
Hello All,

I have a 1960 K1000 with original 305A and SM420. I am considering swapping out for a crate motor and trans. I am looking for bolt in/ turnkey. She is as original as possible and I want the ability to make her whole again one day.

Years ago, I recall a thread/ build journal of someone doing so on their ’61 4x4 but cant find it. If I recollect it was a little more complicated for the 4x4? Any insight or point me to where I can read up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim
Greetings TRybas!!

First, why are you looking to replace that 305A V-6 and SM420 Transmission, and what are you looking to replace them with? Second, and I know that it has been done by many, is to swap out the original GMC big Block V-6 and replace it with an SBC 350 V-8. In my opinion, THAT is a sacrilege that spoils the authenticity and the collector value of the Original GMC Truck. In my case, I switched out an inferior Chevy 292 I-6 in favor of the GMC 305 V-6 which made my old Chevy Truck much more dependable and reliable, and increased it's overall value. I'm not telling you what to do, since it is your truck to do with as you please. All I'm saying is is if it were my truck, I'd leave it original. That 305 V-6 and SM420 Transmission will only increase the truck's value should you ever decide to sell it.