View Single Post
Old December 29th, 2014, 03:43 PM

Truck: 1965
Sonic65 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Master Cylinder going out

aphaynes,

I converted my single-reservoir master cylinder to a dual-reservoir with a power booster. I used a 1975 GMC as my donor vehicle and swapped out the rear end as well as added disc brakes up front. Everything bolted in easily as General Motors did not change frame width for many years, up until 1987 I think. Anyways, the power booster bracket used the original single reservoir bolt holes on the firewall to mount up. I drilled a couple more holes to completely bolt it to the firewall as the bracket had 4 holes in it. I used the proportioning valve since I converted to disc brakes. My truck has a much better stopping distance than before. That being said, if you are looking to just add a dual reservoir and power booster and leave your original 4 wheel drum setup, I don't think it would be too difficult to add a 1975'ish master cylinder and booster to your existing brake system. Maybe someone here in the club has done exactly what your are thinking about and can shed some light on the subject.

If you look at my profile photo album, you will see some pictures of the brake conversion I did.

John