View Single Post
Old September 24th, 2018, 04:23 PM

Truck: 1964 SWB WS
ItalOso is on a distinguished road
Default Switching out the bench seat

Hello Club Members,
Does anyone have any recommendations to putting in another bench seat, even a 60/40 split without the really high thigh lifts (like in these new supposed bench seats) that look more like the 40/20/40, the 40 being buckets. I have flattened out these lifts in my '14 GMC truck, really uncomfortable.

The 95-99 Yukon bench seat was one of the most comfortable seats I have ever owned in my Yukon, flat but supportive. Just can't seem to search or locate these bench seats or frames online as easily.

In my '64 wideside, I am taking out the seat fuel tank. I can visually see that without the tank, there is about 4 to 6 inches that the seat could go back which would be a huge adjustment for my height of 6'5". The back rest might be a little vertical than reclined which I have taken into consideration.

I have also noticed the gusset that runs above the seat tank, is fairly hollow and by cutting that out and up, I don't want to lose the cabs rear structural strength, but it doesn't seem to have much support at all. I may alter it as slightly as I can.

I have noticed these Rear bench seats that come out of extended GMC trucks. The seat isn't as deep, as my original is almost 24-26" long, and then the thickness of the rear seat on my original is also 6-7" thick. I am installing a smaller wheel along with tilt wheel as well.

For a big & tall man, I need support and wouldn't want to slip off the seat coming to a quick stop. The height of the frame of the seat may also be a factor as well. I have a Muncie SM420 manual transmission with the big hump.

So my main question is, should I stay with a standard front seat or would one of these rear seats work in my restoration? Would there be another model, like from other automakers that will fit the 58-59" width yet still provide more room, support and comfort, backing away from the floorboard and pedals as well?

Any suggestions are appreciated!! I just can't seem to part from this truck, too sentimental.

Thanks! Tom