View Single Post
Old October 30th, 2013, 03:48 AM

Truck: 1966 GMC 1/2 Ton
Vern is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help for a new guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDShaffer View Post
Agree with all that advice - sitting still isn't good for us or our trucks. Engine either fuel starved, or you have a leaky intake gasket leaning up the mix. Easy way to eliminate a leaky gasket is with a can of starter fluid. Get the engine idling smooth and slow. Spray the starter fluid in short bursts at each side of the base of carb, and wait between shots. Follow this procedure around each port. If idle doesn't change, no leak and proceed with fuel delivery troubleshooting.

I've had to deal with plugged accelorator jets too; like Vernski said, fuel starvation for 1 reason or another.
That's a great idea, I'll try it this weekend. I was wondering about a vacuum leak or something similar. The only thing that makes me wonder is that the truck had the same problem when I got it; but I chalked it up to the fuel system being so fouled. Or I replaced the gasket on the accelerator pump, but remember thinking that the well it sat in looked really pitted. I found it hard to believe that it would work well (an earlier poster wondered about something similar).