View Single Post
Old March 14th, 2014, 06:31 PM

Truck: 1966 GMC 1/2 Ton
Vern is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Blown head gasket vs. cracked block

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest View Post
Based on your earlier description of all the white smoke, leaks, no oil, no coolant(did you see any blue smoke in there or oil burning?) I wouldn't replace the head gasket without getting the head examined at the machine shop. see if your valves and valve guides are still serviceable and get the head magnafluxed for cracks first. It's not worth wasting a gasket set to seal up engine leaks if it needs a rebuild or replacement anyway, if it's worn out... it's worn out! It does kinda sound like it is at the of it's service life.

Sometimes you can get away with a budget rebuild such as saving your crank, cam, lifters, pistons, valve train, even the oil pump and water pump. If these parts are not excessively worn. you could possibly getaway with tank cleaning everything and put it back together with rings, bearings, gaskets and maybe valve guides. If you have not done this before and you like mechanical work just do a little research, ask for a little help here and you will do fine, it's easier than you might think. It will be fun to do!Hope it goes well.
I sit behind a desk all day, so I'm looking forward to digging in. It seems like the next step will be to locate a shop that can service the head.