Thread: Starter Issues
View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2019, 03:40 PM

Truck: 1964 1500
jrmunn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Starter Issues

Maybe it is just me, but I am not clear about the problem. When you turn the key with the starter at a "flat spot", does the starter spin? If yes, you have broken/worn teeth (flat spots) on the flywheel, an engagement problem (usually a bad spring) on the starter, or a combination of bad teeth on the starter gear finding worn spots on the flywheel. If the starter gives a clunk (engages) but can't turn the engine, the most common causes are bad connections, a weak battery, or a bad solenoid. From my experience, this is usually accompanied by a single click of the solenoid, or the solenoid will clatter (multiple clicks). It is hard for me to imagine problems that make the engine difficult or impossible to turn over going away by trying later or rebuilding the starter. If the starter itself won't turn over, it is time (especially after a rebuild) to get a different starter that you know works and is appropriate for the vehicle. Just because it fits (bolts on) does not mean it is right for the vehicle.

JRMunn