Thread: Starter Issues
View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2019, 04:48 PM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Starter Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcbass View Post
I've been dealing with a starter issue for awhile now. I have the 305E. A reputable shop here in Tucson that i've sent it to twice now and the same thing happens both times. After the first and second rebuild of the starter it works great for about a dozen or two starts. Then the starter appears to hit a flat spot and makes a horrible sound. If i turn off and on again it will turn over normally but will hit this flat spot again eventually. This continually gets worse and worse until yesterday when no mater how many attempts i make to turn the starter its always in a flat spot that makes a gravely bad sound. Anyone else have this issue with a bad starter? Is there a modern replacement option for this part? I have replaced the solenoid with a high temp option due to it being right by the exhaust manifold. This has cured the issue of having to bang on it after i stop to get gas on a longer run. It used to get stuck from getting too hot on longer road trips.

The last time i took the starter in they ran it on their test bench and it works just fine. It seems like when it has a load on it that this starts happening.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
AzCbass
Tucson

66 GMC 305E 4 speed dually Open Road Camper Conversion

Greetings AzCbass!

The first thing that I would look for is a badly worn flywheel ring gear. That's what your description sounds like to me.