View Single Post
Old November 13th, 2017, 03:22 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option
GMCNUT will become famous soon enoughGMCNUT will become famous soon enough
Default Need all our GMC Historians help: 1963 Factory Black truck correct wheel paint?

Hey guys; so as part of working the solid factory black 63 GMC in the previous thread to driving condition, I need to take the wheels to be sandblasted and re-painted. I asked Jon Krogh, a fellow GM truck history buff some of you may know, whether or not a 63 GMC that came from the factory painted solid Black would have come with White or Black wheels - he checked the 1965 GMC Data Book and shockingly it still shows "Crystal Green" to be correct on all solid Black trucks in 1965 - now, I am fully aware of the Crystal Green color being used on all Black GMC's from 1955 through 1962 because my 1960 factory Black GMC came with them too, and I just bought a set of 17" factory Crystal Green 4x4 wheels off an untouched never repainted 62 GMC so I know for a fact the Crystal Green Wheels used on Dark Green and Black trucks lasted at least through 1962, but to be honest, unless the 1965 GMC data book Jon has was possibly not properly updated to reflect wheel color changes decided only after production began, I always thought in 1963 or at least by 64 GMC had switched to solid White wheels on all solid color or two-toned trucks - is this not right? The original wheels came with this truck, but they appear to have been Black and have at some point been spray canned White. I can see Black under the white where the White is chipped off - so this could simply be the underlying Black EDP coating showing, or maybe they came painted Black on a Black truck only vs White on all other color trucks, but there is no sign these wheels were ever Crystal Green despite what the Data Book may say. So, some of you guys have been around GMC's your whole lives and should know if any Black ones after about 62 ever had Green wheels or not - the 65 data book also says ALL solid White GMC's through 1965 came originally with Strata Blue wheels so if some of you are a little weak on ever seeing or knowing much about any rarer to find solid Black trucks, then you guys would know if any White ones which are common, past 62 came with Strata Blue wheels or not - proving any of you for sure saw White trucks with original Strata Blue wheels would help validate the Data book being correct and Black ones after 62 would have had Crystal Green wheels whether you ever saw one or not. So, please share your knowledge GMC elders! Need to know what the recognized correct wheel color is here - Thanks!

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1962 K1000 4x4 short wideside, BBW, 305D w/ SM420, PTO Winch

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)