View Single Post
Old January 27th, 2015, 11:45 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How to change a water heater BY YOURSELF (for dummies?) with pictures

While the closet was empty I thought I'd solder the new pipe screw connection on. I grabbed my new fancy schmancy pipe cutter.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

They're easy to use. You just open them and put them on the pipe, then make one circle around the pipe, tighten, and repeat.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Pretty soon it pops off

I wish I had that to take the tank out lol. MUCH faster!

Next came the pipe cleaner.

Clean it till it's all shiny and copper-y

After it's all clean and spit shined I grabbed the new copper fitting seen here.

Pull the plug out of the end. That won't be good for water flow!

I placed a call to the master cleaner, the Powder Puff Mechanic, who by now had ALL the neighborhood kids playing in her new "outhouse". (I'd like to show you a pic of this but I don't have permission from the neighborhood parents. Trust me it was funny as all get-out!)

Then I jammed it on the pipe I just cleaned to test fit. Looks purty good!

Then I got my flux brushed on and fired up my torch.

I forgot to pull out a length of solder, burned the hair off my arm, and had to turn the torch off. Pretend I didn't say that and stop laughing at me.

Solder pulled out:

Torch and solder. I had to heat it for 2 minutes (I counted) before it would melt the solder around the joint. And I had to do it twice. the first time it didn't stick. The second time was golden, so maybe 2 minutes wasn't long enough.

Once it's stuck DONT YANK ON IT. For one, it's HOT. It'll burn your face off. For two it's still gooey and not entirely stuck. Let it cool a bit. I used this time to ready my new tank. First I pulled the little stoppers out of the intake and outflow pipes. These little rubbers are easy to drop into the pipe so unless you use your pinky, you should use a booger picker. You know, one of those screwdrivers with a toothpick on one end.

Now I grabbed my special plastic lined pipe nipples (snicker!) here. They have a little rubber valve in them that can go either way. I put mine sticking up.

Schmear some lox on them. Or if you don't have lox you can put pipe dope on there.

Then I screwed them in hand tight to make sure I didn't cross thread them.

Finish with a pipe wrench until they're gutentite! (Good-n-tight!)

Time for the old heave ho! I had The Redhead come out of her babysitting and help me lift it into place.

I put the flue stand and flue on first. I had to remove it to do the pipes though so eh.

I got all the pipes tightened well. They have a rubber washer in them so you don't need to dope them up.

Then I had The Redhead go inside and turn on the hot water faucet to let the air out while I slowly turned on the water inlet valve and let the tank fill up. I stayed right with it too just in case my expert soldering job blew up under pressure. Thankfully it held just fine!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.