View Single Post
Old January 27th, 2015, 11:47 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How to change a water heater BY YOURSELF (for dummies?) with pictures

With the water connected and working I moved down to the gas line. I had to borrow the adapter from the old tank.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

It was filthy inside. What do they put in the gas line? I can just see some guy poking little bits of boogers and hair in the line from the gas company while he chuckles and says, "This'll teach 'em, Rufus! Heh heh!" I ran my pipe cleaner all over and inside it.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Teflon tape the threads so it doesn't leak

I found a plug in the new tank where the adapter goes. Can't forget that.

And in screws the adapter. I was afraid to go too crazy tight with it because the whole thing is held up with plastic. I thought it might break off in the floor.

I taped up the other side and attached the gas line.

Then it was time to turn on the gas...

I didn't blow up so I pulled the cover off the pilot night. The new one has a push starter like a grill so no more long handled matches.

It lit with no problems! Suchcesssss!!!!

Later on I sprayed the connection with soapy water (thanks internet!) to make sure it didn't leak anywhere. All good. I turned up the heat to "HOT" because we have a HUGE family and we go through hot water like we're paid to use it. I had to adjust it to "A", one notch over "HOT" later.

It fired up and worked!

I thought I was done but the Powder Puff Mechanic said, "Daddy, what about the Doooo-war?"
Oh, right.

All that's left is plumbing the overflow spout from the side to the drain hole under it. I ran out of time so I'll do that this weekend. If you're doing this job just pretend that part is your final exam. No help from me on that one! (Hint, it's easy!)

Oh one more thing. Fun fact, the old tank was rated at 168...

the new one, same size? $100 more per year to operate!

Oh well. That's "Progress" I guess!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.