Thread: distributor
View Single Post
Old March 14th, 2013, 01:31 AM

Truck: n/a
Texas63GMC is on a distinguished road
Default distributor

I have a 351 (non magnum) from a unknown year in my '63. The engine was missing a coil and other parts when I got it. It has now been rebuilt and the stock distributor was pulled during. The way the distributor was installed has the vacuum advance pointing at the rear passenger side head. The small bent silver tube with the spring loaded cover is pointing at the drivers side rear head. The engine has been started, and is running.
I found a coil bracket (cup type) and the vacuum advance in in the way of where the bracket mounts at the rear passenger side head.
From pictures I've seen of other motors it looks as if the vacuum should be pointing forward and the tube pointing rearward. Is that right?

I have read how to locate TDC on the comression stroke of #1 clyinder, but can find that now. Does anyone have a link to that?
If the rotor points to a differnt spark plug lead on the cap can I use that to attach the #1 spark plug wire? and move the other wires in firing order...or does everything move...

sorry for the stupid questions. I have manuals they are just out of town now.