Thread: distributor
View Single Post
Old March 14th, 2013, 07:43 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: distributor

I *never* assume the positions in the book are correct. Actually, I have never even thought of making sure that the distributor matches the illustrations. As long as the #1 on the cap fires the #1 plug at the right time, and the rest follow in proper order, does it really matter which connection is #1?

I have worked on several engines in various vehicles and I can't say for certain that any really resembled the illustrations.

If it really matters, get the #1 cylinder to firing position.
pull the distributor out and rotate the rotor close to where you want #1 to be, then put it back in. You may have to do this again and move it a tooth since it will turn a little as the gears mesh.
Once the rotor is pointing where you want it, put the cap on... then rotate the distributor until the preferred connection on the cap lines up with the rotor. Then install the wires.

I haven't kept count of the number, but I have had to "rescue" people before who worked on their own vehicles only to find that it wouldn't start when they were done... solely because they used the illustration in the book to set the order on the cap instead of actually looking to see where #1 really was. Of course those are the people who pull all wires before beginning...
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500