View Single Post
Old July 29th, 2021, 10:59 PM
Banned

Truck: 1960 gmc truck
ZDADDY is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1960 Gmc 305 v6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Snyder View Post
Welcome to the forum, Zdaddy! We may be a little slow answering all your questions, but don't give up. I'm sure most of your questions will get answered eventually.

You don't say whether your truck is half or three-quarter ton. The half ton rear ends lend themselves to taller highway gears of course. Stock half ton ratios were 3.07, 3.54, and 3.92. Quickest way to find out what you've got is to roll it slowly forward for one revolution of the rear wheels while having a second person count the number of times the driveshaft goes around.

If you've got a three quarter ton, most likely it's got a 4.10 or 4.56. If I remember right, the tallest ratio you can fit is a 3.73. That's what I did to a truck I bought several years ago that came with a 4.56 rear end -- changed to a 3.73. With 32" tall tires, freeway cruising was no problem.

Looks like you're off to a good start! Keep us informed of your progress.
Hey Ed!!!! Thanks for the reply......I think my truck is a halfton it has 6 lugs. Pulling engine tomorrow.I am going to take pumpkin off and see what I got. I posted a pic under rear end disscussion and havnt figured out what I have yet.Someone posted a chart with diffrent rear end pics, but mine does not look like any of them. I really appreciate the feedback.I may take the advise of everyone here going forward on what to do, since most have done it before.

Zdaddy

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk