View Single Post
Old August 20th, 2021, 06:03 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: '65 GMC 1500 project. From the Netherlands

Still working on the frame paint. Due to other people wanting to use the car lift, it had to be on and off. Which allowed me to complete the whole dual master cylinder brake system and my reproduction of the original tailpipe.

The new brake system uses a repro master cylinder from a '67 C10/1500, which is filled with DOT 5 silicone brake fluid. The whole system is based upon the original regarding line placement, and there is an extra set of lines running to the front right wheel. The original T-sections are all used, and I made up extra brackets to hold the extra brake lines in place. If one wanted, this mod would be easily reversible and it looks like factory, with is what I like. See pictures.

The tailpipe is welded up from a straight piece of 50mm (almost 2 inch) pipe and two 90 degree bends. I tried to replicate the original tailpipe as closely as possible. It angles down a little and exists at the same spot. See pictures.

The tires that came with the truck had tons of dry cracks and were swollen in some areas. Running the DOT codes on the tires told me that they were made before I was born! The newest one was from 1998, my birth year

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Scored a good deal on some new Toyo tires, 235/85 R16. I had them install the white lettering towards the inside.

Also did a lot of rustproofing inside the cab. All the areas with surface rust were covered in a light layer of roestfixeer, the stuff I linked previously. Areas that are double walled or bolted together, and the threads of screw/bolts recieved a coat of Mike Sanders Rust Prevention Grease

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

. I apply this grease generously, while its cold. When it gets hotter is starts to creep between the sandwiched panels, creating a 'live' rust protection. It also works wonders in door bottoms. Just about any place where it is not exposed to the open elements. I plan apply this whenever I can, when I take something apart and reassemble it is given a coat of grease.

Also. Underneath the bench I found a strip of duct tape. Never thought anything of it, but when I pulled it from underneath the seat I found out it was the original 'sales poster' which was taped to the window. It had the original salles price (3500 USD) and a phone number! Will give that number a call ASAP. Hopefully the original owner is willing to tell me the story on this one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210820_123348.jpg (4.54 MB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20210814_125825 1.jpg (4.79 MB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20210814_110247.jpg (4.86 MB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20210820_141840.jpg (3.59 MB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20210820_141829.jpg (4.25 MB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)

Last edited by Prowbar; August 20th, 2021 at 06:09 PM.