View Single Post
Old September 19th, 2021, 02:35 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: '65 GMC 1500 project. From the Netherlands

It's been a while. Got the frame all painted. Had to move the truck to a new location, so another project (VW Bus Type 3, not mine) could use the car lift.

Recieved a whole lot of parts from AZKen, thanks again Ken.

Have not been able to call the owner, for some reason it keeps saying the person is not accepting calls at this moment. Maybe they blocked me because it is an odd number? Not sure.

What I've done so far:
-Frame fully painted.
-Cab rustproofing. Rust converter on the floor, both sides, underneath the dash and in the doors. The doors were then sprayed with a layer of Mike Sanders grease. Also used underneath the dash and on screw threads.
-Rebuilt the alternator with new bearings.
-Rebuilt the heater controls. Repaired the arms that broke off, installed new heater knobs. Went through the switch for the fan, cleaned all the contacts.
-Rebuilt the wiper motor.
-Installed and cleaned the wiper switch as the original was missing.
-Installed a new fuel sender.
-Re-lubed the speedometer and cable as they were dry, went through all the dashboard lights and gauges. Made a new lens for the turn signal as the bulb had gotten too hot and melted the lens.
-Installed a new wiring harness for the turn signals. Still have a ground issue in one of them, need to make the tool as described in the manual to remove them and clean the contacts.

In process:
-Deluxe heater box powder coat
-Door locks repair
-Dome light install
-Reassemble the doors after rustproofing, still need the window seals as they are gone.
-Wiper arms and hinge rebuild
-Glove box install.
-Rebuild the light switch and rheostat.

There is much more to do, of course, but I hope this gives an idea of what is going on at the moment. So far all the electrics are working first try, except for the one ground issue, got to love it. Of course I try to clean all the contacts and connectors, and reassemble with dielectric grease.

These are great trucks to work on. Got to love all the high quality and perfectly rebuildable components. Also, everything says 'MADE IN U.S.A.'. Makes you feel a little patriotic, even as a non-American.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?