View Single Post
Old March 1st, 2022, 07:28 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Drivetrain noise

Just for kicks, check the motor mounts and trans mounts. Bad rubber, broken brackets, loose, etc.

Your first post is confusing. I believe you said later on in the thread that the noise is after shifting into 4th.
But in the first post you say:

"When the RPMs drop (ex. from 3rd to 4th gear) you can hear the loud humming/grinding noise. It can be duplicated in all gears. Above approx. 1000 rpm it fades away."

So it can happen (duplicated) in all gears when RPM drops but "ex" = except from 3rd to 4th. But it happens in 4th.

This is hard to decipher. We only have the words description. The video sound is of no help.

Many folks may say it's synchros worn. But you say both trans had the same sound at the same time so I guess we are eliminating the trans in our minds. Not sure that is a good idea. What if it's two bad transmissions? Can you check the synchros in the other?

I will have to give up on this one. Wish I was there to hear it. You cant start tearing into everything. You can take it to a good mechanic to hear and/or fix those "loose" drivetrain components you describe.

Last edited by AZKen; March 1st, 2022 at 07:50 PM.