View Single Post
Old August 12th, 2022, 02:15 AM

Truck: 64 1/2 ton
tbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Problem with clutch disengaging

I'm getting ready to do mine and came across all this info. 305 E SM420. I have a fully functioning clutch at time of disassembly. I inspected my Borg and Beck style, it is 10.5", original flywheel. Everything was fully operational without complaints. Only reason I'm changing out was I noticed the Throw out bearing had worn grooves in the in the pressure plate fork levers. The disc has wear on it too. The plan is to take my flywheel, pressure plate and clutch disc and throw out to Southside Brake for rebuilding.

Info to take away from here:
1) Pilot bearing which is retained in the flywheel is pressed flush with the flywheel surface.
2) Existing clutch disc springs and 10 groove snout is flush with the friction material on the flywheel side of the clutch disc. Any protrusion here will cause interference and improper clutch function (disengagement issues) will ensue.
3) throw out bearing is around 1.3" in width.
4) My clutch adjustment is a manual bell crank style and the pushrod is retained in the outer position of the clutch fork.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-0147.jpg (4.07 MB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG-0148.jpg (4.24 MB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)

1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, SM420
Finished Cab off restoration

1964 GMC 1000
305 V6, SM 420
Restoration is now started, still looking for an oldsmobile style power steering pump